Languages of D

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Woah, am I finally writing this? xD fun fact: it has been a draft since last December! Shows that I really wanna blog about it but, just finding the right time to do so I guess~ anddd it is now, since it's my month 🦄.

To those following me, you all might already know that I really love anything that's Art-cultural things. Learning languages is definitely in it. It's the art of learning about other cultures, too. I can happily say that I know almost ten of them including my native one. Only it depends on my fluency in each language. ✌🏻

Let's get right into them~

+ MALAY 🖤🖤🖤🖤
My native language but no, you can't really trust me in it cause I can mess it up quite bad sometimes lol.
Especially after I came back for good from Jakarta, I mixed both Malay and Indo words together (in my exams :o) cause we might have similar words with the same spellings, but they might bring different meanings! 🤭

+ ENGLISH  🖤🖤🖤🖤♡
Well, honestly I wasn't that good at English before, but again, since I moved to ID and enrolled in an international school, it definitely helped me improve my English greatly! The way of teaching is fun and enjoyable and the syllabus is higher than our local school so I grabbed more words and styles from it. Also, we need to speak in English only, no other bahasa is allowed as intended for us to get used to it quicker and better. However, it confused me again as our local syllabus is in the British way right? But because it's a school with multi-national students and teachers in Jakarta, I kinda learn more about the American style. So, the spellings and words differ, too! lol. Came back here and mixed the American and British words. GG dyna~

+ BAHASA INDONESIA 🖤🖤🖤♡
Idk if I should put Indo in third or fourth but maybe I learned it at the same time as Mandarin. I don't really converse in it during my stay there cause we mainly used English or Malay except with the drivers or at the mall or so~ I totally love watching their sinetron and ftv that I automatically learn it. I only came to use it here, when I'm in Limkokwing with my Indo friends.

+ MANDARIN 🖤🖤🖤♡
I'm not sure if it's 4 hearts or 3.5 cause I can read the characters and write and also converse quite fluently but I still can't read some so idk but I can consider that I'm quite good. Do help me here, if I were to write my language skill(s) in any form or resume, should I include Mandarin or? I also learned it in ID and I'm glad I got a chance to learn it! I loveeee it and can proudly say I aced it in school haha. Oh, oh, I also have a Chinese name; 慧琳 (hui lin, yeap the one I put down there for my blogpost signature).

+ FRENCH 🖤🖤♡
Another favourite language of mine that I'm glad to be getting a chance to learn in school. The romantic language people say. At first, it was hard to get used to its R pronunciation but after some time reading out loud, I finally got used to it without having a sore throat or tongue (?) idk which one hurts haha. Anyway, why 2.5 or 3? Cause I learn it then I forget then learn again then forget... repeat this all the wayyy until today xD my brain is quite full now so it saves things slowly.

+ KOREAN 🖤🖤🖤♡
My first time learning it was with my Korean friends in school back in 2006~ they were so kind to teach me stuff and even wrote my name in the Korean alphabet. They were also the ones who introduced the K- songs to me! 😸 I'm quite fluent now and can confidently converse and write captions with it. Yeah~ My sister and I joined a private online class for a while maybe a year (?) with a native teacher who was a student here and he said our Korean was already good haha. We were thinking to take the TOPIK exams that's why we took the classes to learn more about the exams but until now we haven't taken them~

+ THAI 🖤🖤♡
Idk how I get myself into learning Thai but I think it's most probably because I love to watch their movies then it's now to their lakorns and while I was watching them, they somehow sound similar to Mandarin and surprisingly they meant the same, too. So, my curiosity and interests brought me to it. I've learned almost all of the alphabet and can read now! And if it's in lakorn, I can understand some of the dialogues without subs~

+ JAPANESE 🖤
Japanese is my least fluent language now. I learn the alphabet and can read simple captions but I won't know most of the words or the meaning unless they're very basic and common ones. I need to keep up with it to be able to know more words and how to make sentences out of them. 💪🏼 Also, Mandarin, KoreanJapanese, and Thai have quite a lot of common words that only differ slightly by pronunciation. 

Okay, so these are my current language collection. hee. As of 2022.

HOW?
Besides than learning formally through school classes in Indo or by books by myself, I also read storybooks or captions posted on social media by celebs written in these languages. Even though I might be slow or not know a thing about the words read, I might find some that I heard somewhere and can practice my readings and vocabs. Don't forget to read it out loud to practice your pronunciation and the right way to sound more natural~

I also listen to their songs and watch their dramas or animes or movies or just whatever you can get to listen to the natives talking. And oh, don't be shy, and just try to at least write captions for your photos using what you've learned but of course, be mindful and try to check again if it's somehow correct or not because sometimes it can bring you to a problem that maybe the meaning will change to a bad one? Another way is that I tried to write diaries, too but haven't started it yet lol. The diary is ready but it is still empty now xD. 

Psst: Try to communicate with your real/social media friends whether they're natives or also learners like you. Almost forgot, but I used some learning apps, too to learn digitally and anywhere.

CHALLENGES?
Needs to recognize different alphabets and intonations. Some languages have feminine/ masculine forms while some might have familiar and similar words but means the opposite. You can get mixed up between them haha.

GOOD?
If you're traveling to non- English speaker countries, you can use the suitable languages that you've learned to communicate better and you might even be treated better, too cause ya know~ 👀 Then, you can apply to jobs that require/ prefer you to have a certain language skill. 👍🏻 You can make friends and of course, there'll be more good to it!

Psst psst: Should I learn more? How many languages do you know and what are they? Do we have any similar ones that we can try to practice together? ☺️

Before I end this post, here's a quote I love from my recent read and hopefully it can give any one of you more hope and light in anything you're doing. Himnae, su su!

."I don't feel the need to break myself apart, to fit into anyone's shadow. I build myself up, and carve out my own space".

-끝-

Loving languages girl,
Dyna d Dayn,
(慧琳, 다이애나)

No comments :

Post a Comment