Identity crisis month.

Friday, August 9, 2024

Woah, hello friends, can't believe it's already almost a year since the first intro part of my story in Jakarta. Well, it's good to post it now since it's August; the month when I suddenly added two more nationalities to myself haha. Also, it's Singapore Day today (if this was posted the next day, just know that I started writing on 090824)~



As I tweeted last year (the photo), that's why I named the title like so... lol okay, actually this post is gonna be about my school since the first one was about my stay, right? *plays Highschool in Jakarta by NIKI (though the song isn't really 100% about the school hahaha)

-

The move into a new school with a totally different style and environment from our local school was definitely an eye-opener, a bit shocking, too, to be honest xD it took me quite some time to adapt to a new studying routine and syllabus (IGCSE Cambridge) which was way higher than here for the levels. Like if I studied something for primary 6, it's not necessarily learned by those here in MY yet. It could actually be for secondary 1!

Revealed when I moved back here and got into secondary 4, they've just started learning what I learned in secondary 2. Even some modern mathematics became a topic for add maths here. That's how different the levels are huh? (°〇°) 

psst: made me earned no 1 spot for my entire batch haha and that somehow put a spotlight to me (moreover I was a new student who had just come back from outside MY).

Okay, that's that... but it was all fun! I think there's not much stress to it and besides, I got to meet new friends from different countries and cultures~ so to make everyone can communicate well with each other, we're only allowed to use English and if we have any difficulties with the words, etc, we can ask someone for it and also I think I observed my friends A LOT on how they used their words and sentences since I lacked confidence in English at first (well, you sure get me if you're from the same country as I am (˵ •̀ ᴗ - ˵ ) ✧). Luckily there were some Indo friends of mine, I asked them in Bahasa and they helped me interpret the words I wanted. Thanks to that, I've now improved and am better at it~ 

.this is my uniform for secondary, as for primary only the skirt changed to skort.
.one with the jacket (fortunately I still keep it).
As for the uniform, yes, I got questioned for this a lot here... "so, did you wear the short skirts like in the sinetron?". Yeap, I did except it wasn't the putih abu abu as that's the government schools' while mine was a green batik shirt and dark blue skirt for the formal attire. It was very shocking, weird, awkward, and uncomfortable in the beginning since even though I didn't wear hijab, I still didn't wear that length of skirt/ bottom (knee-length) outside to places haha. The shortest maybe was the three-quarter? No long skirts or stockings were allowed at that time (I saw the school has now made hijab-friendly uniforms) so we had no choice. The sports attire was a pair of shorts and a tee which I still keep and wear until now at home. I regretted not keeping the formal set of uniforms with me and gave them away to my friends hmm (·•᷄∩•᷅ )

The facilities were good for that time and I enjoyed the school~ the canteen, the library, the courts, the pool (even not in the school compound but just over the walls), the labs, and of course, the classrooms and ohhh thank god for the clean and dry toilet haha. The school starts at 0800 (I think? Gosh, that was a long time ago sorry) and ends at 1430 so we had two breaks; one for the morning break at 1000 and another for lunch~ I loved it as mom would prepare a lunchbox full of delicious meal and snacks. Sometimes, when mom would let us buy some from the canteen, I'd go for the sweet sour chicken bites from Ahjumma, or the nasgor, or the popia piscok. Just yum! Ah,,, kangen berat! One time there was the corn in the cup, too, where they had a few different toppings to choose from, if I'm not mistaken, chili sauce or something like that. haha if any of my SIS friends read this, my memories are fading like NOOOO... so, some of you might be "Is it?" lol. (⸝⸝ᵕᴗᵕ⸝⸝)

Oh, it just reminds me back to the first day of school when we had breakfast at the hotel buffet downstairs (aka our stay as mentioned), that luckily I brought a muffin wrapped in tissue (lol) from there as a snack to eat at school for the break... I didn't even know we'll have two breaks so I just didn't finish the whole muffin at one time. Plus, did I even bring a water bottle? lol, with no pocket money some more haha it was quite chaotic but I don't mind and just enjoy and go along the flow. Mom was back in KL to process something regarding her work btw~

-

I did mention in my previous post that this school of mine was located in the south part of Jakarta which was around 1hr plus from my house and we even used the highway route to get there. There's a nonhighway route that our pak supir used to use earlier when we first started but since it somehow took us longer as time went by, the supir found the fastest way. 

But, that's only for the morning... to go back home we still used the nonhighway route that passed by many iconic locations which we can see from the sinetron, and one of them was Pondok Indah for the horror movie (somehow affected by it; why we hesitated to move to the house there haha maigad) and the Citos Mall that was in the movie, Eiffel I'm in Love~

-

Definitely, one of the best school memories I made... learned new foreign languages (Mandarin, French) for the first time, made more international friends, got to be expressive, and did what I love (dancing, cooking, crafting), teachers are like friends (still with some respect of course), was active in class for asking questions to things I don't know from the seat without being shy and able to make notes just by listening to what I understand, became more confident talking in other languages (English and Mandarin) in classes, open to other cultures, and I think there's just moreee of it. The downside was I had not talked in Malay for quite some time, except with my parents and lil bro and a few of my friends (my dad's colleagues' kids whom sometimes we conversed in English, too), which made me feel awkward talking in Malay... I know I know not being cocky or arrogant but yeah that's the truth... (·•᷄‎ࡇ•᷅ )

.just some festival photo I found, try to find me hehe.
.found this random photo right before the move, we actually took photos like this from long time ago eh? haha.

fun fact: didn't really talk in Bahasa Indo that much in Jakarta but I kinda master it when I got back here lol. Perhaps I grasped it while I was there without knowing it cause I just love watching ftv and yeah, you'll naturally get it when you're placed in that certain community, right? Also, we didn't talk loudly in Malay if we were outside since you know gotta be careful haha iykyk no offence mentemen ya. ♡ ̆̈✌

-끝-

Your used-to-be Jakardah gurl,
Dyna d Dayn,
(慧琳, 다이애나)

No comments :

Post a Comment